Arma Dei Academy purposefully selects our curriculum and pursues a chronological study of history. It is our desire for each student to not only know the who, what, where, when and why of events, but that they are able to place themselves on God’s timeline and connect and relate the events to their lives.
Each year every grade level has an opportunity to share their excitement and bring to life their historical time period. The students wear costumes of the period, participate in hands-on activities, give presentations, and share what they have learned with the school community.
Third graders at Arma Dei have the privilege of studying ancient Greece and Rome. Students of a classical education learn the influence of both of these cultures and are able to spot references to the ancients in modern culture.
Do you know how many sales slogans and products today are directly named for Greek Gods & Goddesses?
- Nike – winged Greek goddess of victory or peaceful competitor
- Ajax – mythical warrior, Cleaner, stronger than dirt
- Medusa – Name of oldest cement company in the USA
- Midas – everything he touched turned into gold:Car Repair “Trust the Midas Touch”
- Odyssey – van
- Venus- Division of Gillette Razor Company – Reveal the Goddess in You
- Trident Gum: The trident was the three pronged spear of the god of the sea Poseidon. Trident gum is a popular gum and Trident actually literally translates into “three toothed.”
- Pandora Jewelry/Music: Pandora was the first woman in Greek mythology and her name means “all gifted”
- Saturn Car
The Romans were equally influential.
- Books – Romans were the first people to use books with pages. Before people used scrolls.
- Alphabet – We use the Roman Alphabet to write our letters.
- Months of the Year – January is named after the Roman god Janus, June after Juno, July and August after Julius Ceasar and Augustus.
- Solar System – Jupiter, king of the gods. Mars, god of war. Mercury, messenger of the gods. Venus, goddess of love and beauty. Saturn is Jupiter’s father. Neptune, the god of the sea. Uranus, the god of the sky.