Recent reports have suggested that reintroducing the so-called “dead” languages of Latin and Greek may actually boost scores in reading, math, and science.
So why does learning Latin seem to give students an advantage in life? Latin educators and authors Harvey and Laurie Bluedorn suggest seven possible reasons in their book Teaching the Trivium:
1. Latin is basic to English
2. Latin is a springboard for mastering other inflected languages, such as Greek or German
3. The study of Latin sharpens the mental process
4. Everything in a culture is embedded in its language
5. Technical language is Latin
6. Latin is also valuable for further studies in all disciplines
7. Latin is useful in English
Given these benefits, would we see greater knowledge and understanding if more U.S. students were introduced to the nuances of Latin?
Read more here http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/what-us-students-miss-not-learning-latin